Thursday, March 11, 2010

Gluten Free Tortillas


A friend passed this recipe to me to make gluten free tortillas. I have not tried it yet but I am very excited too.


Gluten-Free Flour Tortillas

(3 parts corn starch, 3 parts white rice flour, 2 parts soy flour, 1 part masa flour)

  • 1 ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
  • 2 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil

Mix all of your ingredients together. I like to mix the dry ones together first to make sure they're all blended. Use your hands to get everything good and ready. It's a fun texture to play with. Then take your blob and divide it into 8 parts. Place them in a large bowl and cover with saran wrap until you're ready to roll them out. Roll out a ball at a time on a floured butcher block. Use a spatula to scrape off the dough if it sticks and add a little more flour to the rolling pin, if necessary. Gluten-free flour can be a sticky beast, so be patient, and just keep working with it until you're comfortable.

When the tortillas are rolled out, place them on a heated griddle (I use my big pancake one so I can cook 3 at a time). I keep the temperature at around 325 degrees and keep them on there until bubbles form. Then flip and wait for the tortilla to be ready.

There is nothing so delicious as freshly made tortillas. Serve them with melted butter and salt. Use them for sandwich wraps. Have fun and enjoy.


mmmmm...... sounds tasty. I will let you know how they turn out and how "easy" they are to make.

~Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment